Another AFL season is coming to a close, and so have many players’ contracts.
With a limited amount of list spots at every club, coaches and managers have to make tough decisions on a number of out-of-contract players each year.
The Sporting News has every delisted player in 2023, and when clubs can sign them.
When can AFL clubs sign delisted players?
To re-join an AFL list, delisted players have three options:
1. Delisted Free Agency Period – A time when a delisted free agent can be picked up by a new team. In 2022 there are three periods that run between:
- Wednesday, November 1 (9am) – Wednesday, November 8 (5pm) | AFL Delisted Player Free Agency (1) Period
- Friday, November 10, 9am to 5pm | AFL Delisted Player Free Agency (2) Period
- Tuesday, November 21 (time TBC) | AFL Delisted Player Free Agency (3) Period
2. Supplemental selection period – If a place on an AFL list becomes available during the off-season or pre-season due to another player’s injury or retirement
3. Mid-season Draft – A draft in the middle of the AFL season that allows clubs to replenish lists
*All times/dates in AEST.
MORE: When is the AFL National Draft 2023? Dates, schedule, selection order, players
AFL delisted players 2023
MORE: AFL Awards winners 2023: All-Australian team, AFLPA MVP, Leigh Matthews Trophy, AFLCA Champion, Most Courageous, Best Captain