How the Carlton Blues won

The deciding moment came with only about a minute remaining. Sam Docherty marked strongly about 80 metres from goal, out near the edge of the centre square. Ollie Hollands, the sub with run in his legs, had booted the ball to Docherty, who did well to mark overhead given his sore shoulder.

Docherty’s team trailed by five points. Not much time. He made the right decision.

Docherty booted long to the top of the goal square, where Acres, who had already entered Carlton folklore – not quite Ted Hopkins of 1970, but making a case for posterity after his game against Sydney – leapt in a two on one and clunked what was the match’s most consequential mark.

Acres played from the goal square and, for a second, it seemed he’d missed the unmissable (and failed to milk the clock). But the rapture behind the goals signalled that the Blues were a point ahead.

Acres had floated down there from the wing. Mitch McGovern, a defender, had created a two-on one. What was McGovern doing there?

“Blakey Acres went obviously went forward was able to create a two v one with Mitch McGovern who went forward to equalise (Melbourne’s spare man),” explained Carlton development coach, and former Geelong premiership player, Tom Lonergan.

The Blues only needed a minute of ball-ups and no balls-ups. They hung on – as they had against the Swans.

The Blues had seemed destined to lose for most of the final quarter, as Melbourne owned most of the play and had multiple chances to take a larger lead – and the Demons’ lead never exceeded two kicks, as a succession of chances were botched. Melbourne’s profligacy was the story of their finals series, delivering a consecutive straight-sets exit from the top four.

The Blues lost the contested possessions (-16) and ground balls (-23). May was outstanding in out-pointing Charlie Curnow. But Carlton’s disposal efficiency was superior, and they converted timely shots.

Propelled by the run of Sam Walsh, the smarts of Adam Cerra, and defender Nic Newman’s ability to find the ball, the Blues had seemed capable of overwhelming the Dees for periods of the second and third terms. Melbourne’s counter-offensive was impressive, but their score of 4.13 from turnovers was their undoing.


Jacob Weitering represented a road block for the troubled and depleted Melbourne forward line. Joel Smith, though, stood up superbly in attack with three sorely needed goals. Fritsch and Kysaiah Pickett were much improved in the second half, though opportunities were squandered.

If Weitering was the player who encapsulated the mid-season transformation – his re-discovery of form critical to the turnaround – then the club’s most accomplished younger player, Walsh, represented the missing piece for the finals.

Walsh began the season injured with a troublesome back, recoveredand returned, but for much of 2023 he did not have that zip and zest that placed him third in the Brownlow in 2021.

He was outstanding in this final – probably best of the 46 players afield. He kept running and finding the ball, from end to end, siren to siren.

Carlton’s season, and finals series, has had the mark of the miracle. They’ve defied their position, during the season and in the finals – especially against the Demons. Somehow, they’ve found themselves in front at the siren.

As with the club hierarchy’s decision to unequivocally support Voss – a move that seems easy now – it came down to making the right calls.

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.

Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top